Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Let the Craziness Begin

So my lesson plans for 3 days are out the window!!!  So much for working with my Smart Slate or anything else.  We have had so many "unexpected" activities thrown at us and to top it off we are supposed to get our first snow today.  If you have ever been around little kids when the weather changes you know what that means for keep control.  I already have plans to come in on Saturday and just pretend to teach using my Slate so that I can show the kids.  I do have to say though.  A quiet way to get their attention is to use the SMART Dice.  You just type a number at the top and then keep clicking until that number appears.  They have to be in their seats with desks cleared before the dice come up that number.  Hint:  try to use 6, 7 or 8.  Those seem to come up the most when using 2 dice.
The primary grades will sit for awhile and watch that then when they think the number has popped up they look to see who didn't make it.  (No punishment, just a said face!)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea with the dice. I totally understand the unexpected activities!!!!! This week has been crazy for us as well. The weather change for 5th graders means being physical. I have had to call more parents about how their child is unable to keep their hands to themselves! I hate wasting time on stuff like this!
    A word of advice on saving you smart board activities. They take up quite a bit of space especially when you start scanning in things. Try to save as much stuff as possible on your districts shared drive or make sure you back up your smart board activities on a disc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I had no idea that it would eat up a lot of space, but then that was not a priority at the time. Do you think I could save things to a thumb or flash drive? I have one that has a ton of memory and maybe I should make that my one just for SMART activities. I know that I am starting to get a bit overwhelmed by all the activities that some friends are sending me and I am saving to the school computer.

    As for the time wasted calling parents I totally agree. I am starting to see where a lot of my time is going. No wonder we never get to social studies or health lessons. Thanks! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete