Saturday, November 6, 2010

What Weekend?

Whew!  Ok, What a day and it's only 5pm.  I think I know why people need maids.  Chores are done and so is most of my grading of papers.  The family is just finishing up naps and then we are supposed to go look for some Christmas Decorations.  This was a very long week at school.  Although things should have been a bit easier with a new teacher the students were a little out of sorts and acting different.  I feel kind of bad for a few teachers.  They are young (teaching about 3 years) and there are 4 of them that are going to quit after 5 years so they can do something that does not have as much work.  I would love to tell them why not to do that, but since I did it and loved it at the time I can see why they want to get away.  Now that I am back I know I will never leave again, but sometimes it is good to try other things.  One of the other teachers just announced that she is going to Africa next year to teach.  She will be near the Congo (which scares me)!  She will make a huge hole in our team, but I think it is wonderful for her to have that experience.  Well, my next task is to get in to RSS.  After reading about the advantages I am a bit excited to create one, but having just read about only using RSS and not "doing" all the other things that I still have to do I will see very quickly what I want to keep up and what I don't when my graduate degree is finished.  Catch you soon!  Sue

3 comments:

  1. Teaching in Africa sound so brave and noble. I have dreamed of doing so too. I hope to teach a bit in Jamaica next year. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did a practicum in Jamaica my last year in college. I was surprised by the schools attendance, but I was prepared for the conditions. Beautiful Island, I liked the less developed side of Ocho Rios. The people on that side seemed to treat us more like family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your school sounds very exciting. What grade(s) do you teach? You said that you are coming back after taking some time off? I know teachers that did that but never came back, so I am excited that you did. In our school, we have grades k-12 and just over 20 teachers on staff. Our turn over rate is relatively small. We only had to hire one teacher last year and none the year before. Right now we are going to be experiencing retirement turn over though. Each year for the next few, I am sure many will retire. About the maid....I too think maybe a maid should come with our degree! Maybe financial aid could pitch in!

    ReplyDelete