Ok, here is a neat little trick that I learned. It is called the Random Group picker (it is really in the generator area of your SMART files). If you go to Gallery Essentials then Lesson Activity Toolkit then down to tools it is in that file.
What is does is after you put all your students names in the spaces it will randomly put your students into groups. So if your students think that you are always picking the same groups you can show them this way and see the outcome of the group project. There is a lot of “generator” programs so you can use this feature in a lot of ways. When you need to call on students you can use the name generator. When I used this I had more students following along with our story because they didn’t know if their name was going to pop up. Again that was with 1st grade students. I am not sure I would use the random group generator for lessons because I need to make sure there is someone that can do what is asked in each group, but for more creative projects where they don’t have to read or write I think this is great.
Getting back on track
15 years ago
What a great tool! Thanks for sharing. I would think the children would like the excitement of not knowing who they are going to be paired with in group projects and with this tool groups may be formed that you never dreamed of putting together.
ReplyDeleteThat SMART gallery is FULL of hidden treasures. Can't wait to hear next what you'll find useful for your classroom :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome. We have a feature that will do this in our grading program, but I would love to be able to show my students what I am doing. This will be perfect. Ever time we start a new lesson in Springboard, we use new groups, and I love to change seating arrangments. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete